Every child has special needs regardless of the ambiance they dwell. From the mass, a few of them demand extra attention, care, and supervision during the developmental phase of their lives. Along with these kids, their parents also encounter with endless difficulties that restrict leading a normal lifestyle. In order to help the parents overcome the difficult phase of life and boost the rate of growth of the children, the teachers play a crucial role. If you are a teacher of the students with special needs, you must be aware of the symptoms and behavioral pattern of the kids. So, what are the ways for teachers to support children with autism in classrooms? Let’s know them in this article.
Tips for Supporting Students with Autism in the Classrooms
Autism Spectrum Disorder or ASD is one of the most elaborate syndromes, which has diversified kinds of symptoms. Therefore, it is impossible to generalize the characteristics and treatment patterns of the affected kids. Students with autism have unique needs with social skills, learning, and communication. Therefore, you must be aware of the proper classroom administration which is not only inevitable to manage all the students in the classroom but also important for their growth. The following are the 7 simple tips and tricks that will help you address their needs and offer guidance to bring out the best in them:
- Learn about the students from them – It is impossible to speculate on the characteristics of the children. Hence, it is advisable to learn about their behavioral pattern and educational progress by observing their way of expressing themselves. In the path of knowing them, you may face difficulty as a few will gladly share information while a few will maintain a tight-lipped gesture. Hence, it is important to explore the mode of behavior the students react to. This will help you know them, allowing you to nourish them in the best manner.
- Play on your strengths – Though the curriculum is pre-defined and narrates a specific pattern of teaching. You must not follow it like a robot. Rather, it is vital to understand the chapter and teach it as you like it. Children with autism dislike a static approach in any activity and enjoy an interesting mode of communication. Therefore, you must never fail to make the lessons interesting and playful, which will motivate them to engage socially and understand the lesson without having to put in any effort.
- Engage them in the classroom– In every classroom; a small group of students dominates the communication of the entire classroom, either with their jovial behavior or engaging nature. You will be lucky if you get more such students. On the contrary, you must be successful in overcoming the restrictions of communication of the rest of the students. Along with encouraging the jovial kids, you must never fail to engage the entire class into a cordial communication. This will help you convey your lesson successfully while boosting their communication power.
- Never be rigid – There will be times, you will feel frustrated due to the tiring and monotonous mode of teaching. Hence, you must implement choices during your lessons to ensure the classroom becomes interesting for both of you. Give choices to your students when the lesson materials, learning ambiance, and communication are concerned. Design a cooperative group and allow them to choose the role they want to play. Along with boosting the self-confidence, they will learn the proper way to administer their skills.
- Encourage writing skills – Writing is a serious reason for concern in most of the children with autism. In fact, most of them fail to write while the other finds difficulty in carving even a single alphabet. Therefore, you must support their zeal to write not by asking them to write forcefully but by using alternative options. Ask them to draw with a finger in a sand bed rather than using a pen to write on a paper.
- Boost the organizing skills – Organizing skills need severe attention in the case of the children with ASD. On one hand, you will meet students who are ultra-organized while you will meet some who find difficulty in locating the items in their vicinity. Hence, you must work on their strengths by asking them to master on the activities they can accomplish. Instead of asking them to arrange the blocks, it is suggested to guide them to insert the textbooks into the bag. Gradually, the organizing skills will grow in them, leading to a successful effort.
- Opt for transitions – Most of the children with autism fear the transitions. Since transitions are the primary activities of daily life, it is vital to let them understand the importance of the same. Go for baby steps, which will prove to be the building blocks of a huge step. Create a clear idea on the head of the students regarding the transition so they can expect the upcoming activities. This will not only ensure to result in a fruitful activity but will also help them get used to the transitions.
Teachers: A Crucial Building Block of Childhood
According to most of the educators, there is no particular recipe to support the developmental abilities of students with autism. Rather, the experts believe that nothing can beat the idea of versatility while teaching the children with ASD. Therefore, you must follow a strategic mode of teaching them. It is crucial to understand the specific needs and deliver the appropriate teaching pattern without sabotaging the natural rhythm of the students. Also, if you are a BCBA certified professional and looking for an opportunity as a behavior analyst in Colorado, Consultants for Children has the appropriate opportunity for you. They understand the specific behavior of the students and work in association with the parents to extract the best in them. Not only this allows them to break the nutshell of fear but also help you indulge into their characteristics to nourish them well.